Maamoul with Pistachios or Walnuts2015-07-20
- Course: Desserts
- Skill Level: Advanced
- Yield : 30 Pieces
- Prep Time : 45m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Maamoul Dough
- 3 cups coarse semolina (ferkha)
- 2 cups fine semolina (smeed)
- ½ cup white sugar
- 300g Al Wadi Al Akhdar butter, melted (and let cool down)
- 100ml Al Wadi Al Akhdar rose water
- 2 tbsp Al Wadi Al Akhdar orange blossom water
- ⅙ teaspoon instant yeast
- Nut Filling
- 200g unsalted crushed pistachio nuts or unsalted walnuts
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2tbsp Al Wadi Al Akhdar rose water
- 3tbsp Al Wadi Al Akhdar orange blossom water
- Icing sugar to decorate
Mix coarse semolina, fine semolina and sugar together.
Add yeast and melted butter and rub with hands until well combined.
Gradually pour WARM orange blossom water and rose water, kneading the dough gently with hands. Place the dough in a large bowl and cover with a wet kitchen towel. Let it sit for 1 hour at room temperature.
To make the filling, combine all ingredients.
Divide the dough in 2. Scoop walnut size of maamoul dough and flatten it on the palm of your hand, fill it with pistachios or walnut filling and make a ball. Repeat this step until you finish the dough.
Press gently each ball into a traditional “Maamoul” mold to take shape and tap out on the baking sheet to drop out of the mould. If the dough is sticky, lightly flour the mold.
In a preheated oven 200°C/400°F bake the maamoul cookies for about 15-20mn or until the sides are slightly golden.
Sprinkle with icing sugar, while still hot. Let cool down and sprinkle again until fully covered.
Average member rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe