French Onion Soup2015-07-20
- Course: Soup
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp Al Wadi Al Akhdar extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- 6 Cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 Tbsp Al Wadi Al Akhdar balsamic vinegar
- 2 Bay leaves
- ½ Tsp teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 Slices French bread
- 1½ Cups grated Al Wadi Al Akhdar Kashkaval
In a large, heavy pot melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sugar and sauté for about 10 minutes or until the onions are soft and brown. Season with salt pepper.
Add the wine and simmer until evaporated.
Stir in stock, vinegar, bay leaves, and thyme. Partially cover the pan and simmer on medium low heat for 30 minutes.
Off the heat discard the bay leaf and ladle the soup into 6 soup ramekins.
Float a slice of bread on each bowl and sprinkle with cheese.
Just before serving, place in the preheated oven. Broil, watching carefully, until the cheese is melted, slightly golden brown and started to rise up.
Average member rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe