- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 45m
- Cook Time : 50m
- For the Meatballs with Bulgur Wheat (Kibbeh)
- 200g Beef or Lamb Meat, finely ground
- 200g White Fine Bulgur Wheat
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp All Spices
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1 Tsp dried Basil
- 1 Onion, minced
- For the sauce
- 2 Tbsp Frying Oil
- 1 Large onion, sliced
- 3 Tbsp Pine Nuts
- 1 Cup of Al Wadi Al Akhdar Tahini (also known as Tahina)
- 2½ Cups Bitter Orange Juice (Seville Oranges or Bou Sfeir Oranges)
- 3/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup of Beef Stock (preferably homemade)
- 1 Tbsp Al Wadi Al Akhdar Pomegranate Molasses (optional)
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup Al Wadi Al Akhdar Chickpeas peeled, to garnish
- Al Wadi Al Akhdar Rice, steamed for serving
In a bowl, combine all ingredients of the meatballs (kibbeh).
Form the kibbeh into balls, the size of an egg each. With your index finger, make a hole on one end of the ball and start turning the kibbeh, until you get a thin and hollow, egg-shaped balls. Pinch the other end to close.
Put the kibbeh in a pre-heated oven dish and roast it for about 25 minutes. In a deep saucepan, fry the onion until brown and soft. Add the pine nuts and fry.
In a bowl, combine the tahini, bitter orange and lemon juice. Stir constantly, until well mixed and add to the onions. Let it simmer.
Add the stock, molasses, salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the kibbeh balls and simmer gently for few more minutes.
Garnish with chickpeas and serve with steamed rice.
Average member rating
(5 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe