Coq au Vin2015-07-20
- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Advanced
- 25g/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Pack of whole chicken, cut into pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose-flour
- 2 Tbsp Al Wadi Al Akhdar extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Slices bacon, shredded
- 5 Garlic cloves, minced
- 200g/1 Cup shallots, peeled but left whole
- 1 Cup Al Wadi Al Akhdar frozen baby carrots
- 400ml/2 Cups chicken stock
- 400ml/ 2 Cups red wine
- 2 Tbsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp Al Wadi Al Akhdar balsamic vinegar
- 1 Jar Al Wadi Al Akhdar whole baby mushrooms
- ½ Cup heavy cream
- Parsley, coarsely chopped
Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Coat lightly with flour and cook in a large pan with butter until browned on all sides.
In a separate skillet, fry the oil and cook the bacon for 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and add to the chicken.
Now using the same bacon oil cook the garlic and shallots until browned. Add the carrots and 1 cup of stock and cook for 5-7 minutes.
Add all to the chicken and bacon. Stir in the remaining stock and the red wine. Sprinkle with thyme and bring the sauce to a boil and then simmer gently for about 25 minutes.
Add the vinegar. Add the mushrooms and simmer until the chicken is tender and the sauce is thick. Stir in the cream and lower the heat to a simmer for about 4-5 minutes.
Finish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
Average member rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe