- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 45m
- 1 Cup macaroni elbow pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1 Cup short grain white rice or Al Wadi Al Akhdar Italian rice
- 1 Cup brown lentils
- 4 Cups water
- 2 Tbsp Al Wadi Al Akhdar extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Cups Al Wadi Al Akhdar passata
- 1/2 Tsp Al Wadi Al Akhdar Hot Sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil for frying
- 1 Onion, sliced thinly, to garnish
Cook the rice in 2 cups of water in a covered pot 15 to 20 min or until done.
Cook the lentils in the remaining 2 cups of water in a covered pot 30-45 minutes or until tender.
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic and sauté; about 4 to 5 min or until the onions are translucent.
Stir in the tomato sauce and chili, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 min, add a little water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Heat about 1/4 cup of oil in a heavy skillet. Add the sliced onions and fry until they turn brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
Place the rice, macaroni and lentils in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper and stir together gently with a fork. Portion the mixture into individual bowls and spoon some tomato sauce over each portion. Garnish with crispy fried onions and serve.
Average member rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe